01273 434190

You could get £55.65 or £83.10 a week to help with personal care because you’re physically or mentally disabled and you’re aged 65 or over. This is called Attendance Allowance. It’s paid at 2 different rates and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need because of your disability. The other benefits you get can increase if you get Attendance Allowance.Your carer could get Carer’s Allowance if you have substantial caring needs. Attendance Allowance is paid weekly at 2 different rates – the one you get depends on the level of help you need.

Attendance Allowance rates

RateLevel of help you need
Lower rate – £55.65Frequent help or constant supervision during the day, or supervision at night
Higher rate – £83.10Help or supervision throughout both day and night, or you’re terminally ill

You could get extra Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction if you get Attendance Allowance – check with the helpline or office dealing with your benefit.

How you’re paid

All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into an account, such as your bank account.

Changes of circumstances

Your circumstances can affect how much you get, for example, moving between the lower and higher rates. You must contact the Attendance Allowance helpline if your circumstances change. For example:

  • the level of help you need or your condition changes
  • you go into hospital or a care home
  • you go abroad for more than 13 weeks

You must also contact the helpline if:

  • you change your name, address or bank details
  • you want to stop receiving your benefit
  • your doctor’s details change

You can get Attendance Allowance if you’re 65 or over and the following apply:

  • you have a physical disability (including sensory disability, for example blindness), a mental disability (including learning difficulties), or both
  • your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you, for your own or someone else’s safety


You must also:

  • be in Great Britain when you claim – there are some exceptions, such as members and family members of the Armed Forces
  • have been in Great Britain for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this doesn’t apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
  • be habitually resident in the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands
  • not be subject to immigration control (unless you’re a sponsored immigrant)


You might get a letter saying you need to attend an assessment to check your eligibility. The letter will explain why and where you must go. At the assessment, you’ll be asked for identification. You can use a passport or any 3 of the following:

  • birth certificate
  • a full driving licence
  • life assurance policy
  • bank statements

Use the attendance allowance claim form to apply by post. The form comes with notes telling you how to fill it in and where to send it. You can also get a copy of the form from the Attendance Allowance helpline.


Attendance Allowance helpline
Telephone: 0345 605 6055
Textphone: 0345 604 5312
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This